WASHINGTON – On Monday, the American Gaming Affiliation (AGA) launched a white paper highlighting the hazards of unregulated, unlawful playing machines proliferating throughout the U.S. These unlawful playing machines aren’t subjected to significant testing, licensing or regulatory requirements and are sometimes tied to prison exercise, together with cash laundering, drug trafficking and violent crime.
Highlights of the white paper, Expert at Deception: How Unregulated Gaming Machines Endanger Shoppers and Dilute Investments in Native Economies, embody:
- Unlawful playing machines don’t endure the identical stringent regulatory necessities the authorized gaming trade meets, together with a licensing course of, sport testing and reporting and accountable gaming – nor are they monitored to make sure truthful play for patrons. Unregulated machine operators additionally lack coaching in accountable gaming, probably luring kids and people with downside playing behaviors to make use of these machines.
- Current raids of unlawful gaming machines have been tied to drug trafficking, gang exercise, violence and have additionally been linked to a number of main organized crime households.
To fight the unfold of unlawful machines, the report recommends:
- Regulation enforcement and policymakers must prioritize sturdy enforcement of legal guidelines to root out unlawful and unregulated gaming machines.
- States and communities should not authorize these machines and proceed to erode rules and allow pointless shopper danger.
- Companies ought to actively take away unlawful and unregulated video games on their properties.
The regulated gaming trade and legislation enforcement communities share considerations concerning the menace unlawful playing machines pose to communities.
“Historical past has taught us that unregulated playing offers rise to an array of authorized and social considerations and finally erodes public confidence within the security and integrity of the entire gaming trade,” mentioned Arizona Lawyer Normal and former Director of the Arizona Division of Gaming Mark Brnovich.
“Authorized gaming gives immense advantages to the communities it serves – and working with a gaming license is a privilege that our trade takes significantly,” mentioned AGA Vice President of Authorities Relations and Gaming Coverage Counsel Jessica Feil. “Sadly, there’s been a fast improve of unregulated gaming machines that exist within the shadows, making the most of loopholes and flouting the legislation, with little to no oversight. These machines finally endanger customers and communities, fueling downside playing and crime whereas drawing vital tax income away from states.”
Sustaining the integrity of the gaming trade and persevering with to profit our communities is a high precedence of the AGA. On line casino gaming is now a authorized, regulated trade in 44 states, producing over $261 billion in financial influence and $41 billion in direct tax income, supporting greater than 1.eight million jobs nationwide. Unlawful playing machines have been present in dozens of states and proceed to bypass these legal guidelines and rules, harming communities and customers nationwide.
Concerning the AGA
The American Gaming Affiliation is the premier nationwide commerce group representing the $261 billion U.S. on line casino trade, which helps 1.eight million jobs nationwide. AGA members embody business and tribal on line casino operators, suppliers, and different entities affiliated with the gaming trade. It’s the mission of the AGA to attain sound insurance policies and rules in step with on line casino gaming’s trendy enchantment and huge financial contributions.